6.28.2010

Finale (Boston)

About a year ago (I can't believe it's been that long), my graduating friend and I went to visit a mutual friend up in Boston. We were inseparable in college, so it was nice to get the group back together. While reminiscing about that trip recently, I came across some photos I took of desserts from Finale, a "desserterie and bakery" (their words, not mine). I'm going to come out and say this right away: these are by far the best desserts I have ever tasted. The only thing that may top it is some tiramisu I had in Italy, which is saying a lot.

Finale itself is an upscale dessert bar. Think Max Brenner, but smaller and more intimate. You can either dine-in, or carry-out. As we were three manly men, we decided to carry-out, mostly because we didn't want anyone to hear our moans of pleasure. The only drawback is the price. The accompanying picture to this post represents $60 worth of food. However, the desserts are so decadent, rich, and heavy that these seemingly small samples lasted us 2.5 days. Also, the picture doesn't do the cakes justice. The larger ones are approximately 6 inches across and 3 inches deep, while the smaller ones are standard dessert portions for an upscale restaurant.

Like, I said, it's been a year, but I can still remember each dessert as if it were yesterday (okay, the picture I took doesn't hurt). We ordered the Finale cheesecake (upper left), Boston cream pie (upper right), carrot cake (center), a death-by-chocolate cake (bottom left; no longer on the menu, apparently), and another Boston cream pie (bottom right). I'd take the time to tell you about each of them, but let's just say they were all amazing. The smooth creams topping the fluffy cakes, the beautiful fondant decorations, and the simple (but not simplistic) presentation made for a perfect dessert. I will say this much, I literally fed my friend the Finale cheesecake on the drive back from Boston to Philly. We didn't care if we looked like a couple who had traveled to Massachusetts to become life partners, the cake was that good.

Diabetes In A Box

Rating: 4.3/5 dessert life partners

No comments: