12.21.2009

Core de Roma

This South Street italian BYOB is kind of what I expected it to be. I'm not trying to say that all South Philly italian restaurants are clones; its just hard for me to distinguish between them. Maybe I'm not enough of an Italy connoisseur. Core de Roma did have some unique qualities. The spicy green beans served before the meal were delicious. All the pasta and meat dishes were cooked to perfection. There wasn't one thing during the meal that I didn't like. But I don't ever see myself going back because I've felt like I've had that exact meal a dozen times. I suppose I can't complain. There's always going to be restaurants where you know what you're getting before you go. There's got to be some appreciation for well cooked traditional food. I just wish there weren't so many traditional Italian places in Philly or that they tried to be a bit more creative with the food.

Rating: 3/5 gnocchi

General Tso's note: Napoleon is clearly racist. Next thing you know she'll be saying, "Some of my best friends are South Philly Italian restaurants!" BTW, I'm giving this a 3.5/5. I think it was better than Napoleon's grade by far.

No comments: